Casey Butler Writer/Surfer
Bob McTavish: Inventor of the shortboard. Here, he speaks candidly about the difference between shapers and designers, why boogie boarding’s one of the greatest inventions ever, the next surfboard revolution, and where longboarding went astray.
This is a tale of misdirection. Volatile weather and ephemeral windows. Extreme tides. This is a tale of men who greet the sun from an icy sea.
Donald Macdonald prefers Budweiser over McEwan’s, reads about cryptozoology, and threw a boomerang at the World Boomerang Championships. He didn’t come in last.
Long Beach brought a surplus of energy to the Quiksilver Pro New York. East Coast surfers don’t get perfect surf very often, but because of that, we appreciate it so much more.
While Volcom’s new event in Fiji may seem like an answer to worldwide prayer (and criticism), it’s actually just a happy coincidence.
“I want to keep making the classic surf movie, like they did in the ’60s, where some of this footage is two and a half years old but none of you guys have seen it yet,” says Mikey DeTemple.
“Manly Beach is kind of the Huntington of Sydney,” said Hurley’s Evan Slater, “so it just made sense to have it there.”
The term “pop-out” doesn’t exactly conjure the most attractive associations, but a conversation at SMASH’s Surfers Studio offered the term a facelift.
I realized that, while I’m still a thruster devotee, I really want to surf an alaia. And a boogie board. At least once. And I’m not ashamed to say it.
Against all logic, my board and I traveled from New York to Paris, to Metz, to London, and to Sydney without paying a single baggage fee.
- 6 Ridiculous (Semi-Explicit) Surfer iPhone Autocorrects
- Nicaragua: The Most Beautiful Surf Destination
- Pipeline Perfection: Day One of the Billabong Pipe Masters
- Surf Photo of the Week 12.9.13
- Opening Day for The Billabong Pipe Masters: Zietz Perfect, Perrow Injured
- Al and Ted’s Excellent Pipeline Adventures: Day One
- The Last Dance: The Pipe Masters
- Sorting Your Tight Hamstrings
- One Night at Turtle Bay: The 2013 Surfer Poll
- My Evening at the Surfer Poll Awards