Clifton Evers Surfer/Writer/Researcher
I went to Hainan Island following the latest round of contests. My observations have led to some concerns and suggestions I would like to express to the broader surfing community.
The annual Jialeshuei International Surfing Competition was about to take place. The thirty-knot north-easterly wind had not let up for days, and the rain had the river flowing fast.
There aren’t many positive images of gay male surfers due to an undercurrent of homophobia in surf culture, but that’s beginning to change.
Derek Hynd weighs in on women in the lineup, finless surf craft, and shark attacks…interesting thoughts from an interesting mind.
Mickey Dora’s story of surfing and manhood seduces most people into taking up surfing, but it’s always important to question our heroes.
- My Pick: Kelly Slater at 2013 Billabong Pipe Masters
- Terrifying Shark Attack Caught on GoPro
- 6 Keys to Surviving the North Shore
- John John Florence Will Win Pipe Masters
- Event Preview: 2013 Billabong Pipe Masters
- A World Title Proposal: Best of Three: Mick vs. Kelly
- Selling the Lifestyle, Hurting the Planet: Rating Surf Apparel Brands
- Inside Hawaii’s Barrels
- A Look at Pipe Masters Since 2009
- Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell