Gerry Lopez Pipeline Master/Shaper
The splendid waves of G-Land were a surf paradise beyond compare. And it opened my eyes to how quickly an absolutely pristine, totally natural place can become a mess. Plastic is a problem for all of us.
One day, out of the blue, Buddy Dunphy announced, “Let’s make our own boards.” A few days later, we had new surfboards to ride. The total cost was about $15 for each board.
One of the sad things about surfing is that the best memories are fleeting. Sometimes when the focus is so intense, the concentration so great, it seems as though they don’t even get recorded.
I have been asked many times what it’s like being inside a tube. My short answer is simple: “It’s great.” The long answer is more involved.
Life, like the ocean, doesn’t hold still for anyone. It’s constantly moving. If we don’t move with it, life passes us by.
- Al and Ted’s Excellent Pipeline Adventures: Day One
- The Last Dance: The Pipe Masters
- Sorting Your Tight Hamstrings
- One Night at Turtle Bay: The 2013 Surfer Poll
- My Evening at the Surfer Poll Awards
- My Pick: Kelly Slater at 2013 Billabong Pipe Masters
- Terrifying Shark Attack Caught on GoPro
- 6 Keys to Surviving the North Shore
- John John Florence Will Win Pipe Masters
- Event Preview: 2013 Billabong Pipe Masters