Seth Migdail Photographer
Fall is a beautiful time of year, especially in San Francisco. The waves turn on and the weather gets brisk. I dug into the archives and pulled a selection of images that embody fall.
The Opening Ceremonies kicked off this year’s Mavericks Invitational and brought the world’s best big wave guys to town. It’s great to see all the guys here and the anticipation of big waves is almost palpable. The event marks the beginning of big wave season and opening ceremonies celebrate that commencement. Learn all about the 2013 Body Glove Mavericks Invitational presented by GoPro here. 2013-14 Competitors Ryan Augenstein (Santa Cruz, CA) Grant Baker (South Africa) Chris Bertish (South Africa) Carlos Burle (Brazil) Kohl Christensen (Hawaii) Ken Collins (Santa Cruz, CA) Shawn Dollar (Santa Cruz, CA) Shane Dorian (Hawaii) Colin Dwyer (Pacifica, CA) Nathan Fletcher (San Clemente, CA) Tyler Fox (Aptos, CA) Mark Healey (Hawaii) Nic Lamb (Santa Cruz, CA) Greg Long (San Clemente, CA) Rusty Long (San Clemente, CA) Alex Martins (Brazil) Peter Mel (Santa Cruz, CA) Ryan Seelbach (San Francisco, CA) Jamie Sterling (Hawaii) Anthony Tashnick (Santa Cruz, CA) Grant Washburn (San Francisco, CA) Dave Wassell (Hawaii) Ben Wilkinson (Australia) Zach Wormhoudt (Santa Cruz, CA) 2013-14 Alternates Shane Desmond (Santa Cruz, CA) Danilo Couto (Brazil) Derek Dunfee (San Diego, CA) Kelly Slater (Cocoa Beach, FL) Tyler Smith (Santa Cruz, CA) Frank Solomon (South Africa)
I explore the human limits and big wave surfing at Mavericks, as well as the harsh conditions the everyday surfer encounters in Northern California.
These are images of the Mavericks Invitational opening ceremonies and portraits of the men who live for something most wouldn’t dream of doing.
- Al and Ted’s Excellent Pipeline Adventures: Day Two
- Shark Cull Approved in Western Australia
- Kelly Slater Pulls Off Left Barrel at Sunset Beach, Triple Crown of Surfing
- 45 Minutes in Queensland
- From a Screen to a Handshake: The Great Pacific Instameet
- Sea and Song
- Surfing. Period.
- Music vs. Surfing: An Ultimatum
- Reflections on Shaping My First Board on the Way to Mexico
- I Love Surfing, But a World without Music?
- Mike Colacino on 6 Keys to Surviving the North Shore
- Joe M on Shark Cull Approved in Western Australia
- Rory Parker on Al and Ted’s Excellent Pipeline Adventures: Day Two
- Kalai on 6 Keys to Surviving the North Shore
- Theresa Lyon on Nicaragua: The Most Beautiful Surf Destination