I hear this a lot: “I wish I learned to surf when I was younger.”
Surfing is not a sport exclusive to the young, athletic, and tanned. It’s enjoyed by men and women of all ages and is not an activity that needs to be learned as a child. As we age, it is vital to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle. In the quest for the fountain of youth, why not learn to surf? You’re never too old to enjoy riding waves.
With increased life expectancy and healthier lifestyles becoming more commonplace, learning to surf when you’re older is a smart decision. You’re not too old to learn something new. You’re not too old to take chances and create goals. Surfing can help keep you young and help you feel alive. Surfing is about finding yourself and losing yourself at the same time. The ocean is ever changing and gives perspective. As one wave crashes, another forms.
Why you’re NOT too old.
1. Surfing promotes balance and physical strength. Why not cancel that gym membership and make the ocean part of your morning routine? Surfing is an amazing workout and can enhance balance, coordination, and strengthen all parts of your body. With practice, surfing becomes easier and your body will reap the benefits.
2. Learning something new is exciting! The thrill of standing up on a wave will create great satisfaction. The excitement will permeate into other areas of your life and you will become a happier person. The sense of accomplishment gained from surfing will create a newfound youthful enthusiasm for life and future challenges.
3. When learning to surf, you can set your own pace. After learning the fundamentals skills, you can surf whenever and wherever you want. If the waves look too big, you do not have to paddle out. Surfboards can be custom made to fit your needs and ability and paddling can be made a little easier with a longer and wider board.
4. There is a large surf community of older surfers. Surfing is a great excuse to meet up with friends and have “board meetings” in the ocean. A family day at the beach can be enhanced with the joys of surfing together.
5. Surfing is amazing relaxation. Whether you are forgetting your problems catching waves or staring off into the horizon, the ocean and surfing provide a framework to promote deep relaxation and stress relief. After a good surf session, you will come out of the ocean feeling lighter from the release of stress and burdens.