Only a few days after receiving a shark repellent bracelet for Christmas, 16-year-old Floridian Zack Davis strapped it on and paddled out for a surf at Avalon State Park beach. After riding a wave, Davis went underwater and bam! He was bitten on the arm by what experts estimated to be a five-foot blacktip shark. When the animal released Davis a few seconds later, the teenager bolted for shore, eventually receiving 42 stitches for his injuries.
Shark repellent devices like the Sharkbanz bracelet Davis wore have been flooding the surf market in recent years, and according to some accounts, are flying off store shelves. Despite their popularity, skeptics have raised questions before. And Davis’ incident even more strongly begs the question: Seriously, WTF?