Editor’s Note: Check out more workouts, active stretches, yoga poses and flows in Tia Blanco’s Guide to Surf Fitness and Nutrition. For a limited time, The Inertia readers save 20% with code BLANCO2020. Access here.
This stretching routine has helped my flexibility immensely. Add this to each of your workouts to increase mobility.
1. Inhale into Mountain Pose.
2. Exhale, forward fold.
3. Inhale, half-way lift.
4. Jump or step back into plank.
5. Upward-facing dog.
6. Downward-facing dog.
7. Inhale, three-legged dog.
8. Bring leg through and straighten for hamstring stretch (Hold for :30s.). Try not to hunch over, hinge at your hips, and keep your back straight.
9. Bend your front leg forward to stretch your hip flexors. Keep your knee aligned over your ankle and flex your back leg. (Hold for :30s)
10. Splits. Listen to your body for how far you can move into this. It takes time and practice to develop.
11. Pigeon Stretch. Keep your foot flexed to protect your knees (Hold for :30s)
12. Advanced yogis can move into Mermaid Pose by grabbing your back foot with both hands.
13. Repeat on the opposite side.
14. Lastly, spread legs wide and hinge forward to stretch groin.